Wednesday, February 26, 2014

DIY Antique Doors!


I am so excited about my DIY antique doors!!! 
(a little background insert here: at mine and Daniel's wedding we had doors of all colors lining the walls and they served as the backdrop for our line and our gorgeous cake. We are so in love we decided we just needed to bring our wedding into the living room to remind us of that day as often as possible! picture seen below! and yes, I may have gotten a little carried away! Our wedding day was filled with so much HAPPINESS that I can't help but feel elated when I look at the pictures. Everything was perfect, 
especially the GROOM!!!!! )
 ~Niece and Nephews. we have since added 2 nieces with another nephew on the way!~
 ~His wonderful siblings~
 ~This particular door we still have so its going in the living room!~
 ~Gorgeous doors and color everywhere! (see those donuts? yep, our reception was LEGIT)~
~and of course this is us, isn't he just the most handsome guy EVER?! Yeah I'm in love.~

Back to the doors!!!! Now that you can see where the inspiration came from,
I think we can move on.
I used a method for distressing the doors that actually DIDN'T include sand paper 
and I am thrilled with the result!
basically you paint it one color and then a different color on top, before the top coat dries, you use a wet paper towel to wipe away certain areas to give it the look of normal wear and tear. 
It was so easy and turned out great!
Afterwards I decided they needed some "natural pizzazz" 
So I got my dads giant screwdriver and put some deep gouges in a few areas.
Now they look extra legit/rustic/beat up in a good way! ;)
 plain door here, and my paint!
 Aren't these doors beautiful




 This is the wax I used to finish them off. I sealed them with a base coat
Then I added some super dark stain to it 
and made some more stylistic distressing to my doors! 
The pictures were actually taken before I added the dark layer
and before I put the extra gouges in with the screwdriver
but it was too dark outside to take pictures by the time that happened!
So these doors are only half done. once they are in my house I will post the finished product.

Comment if you have any questions about how to make this work! 
If you follow me on Pinterest you can find the pin I used fairly easy by searching
my board titled: FOR THE HOME.
Also coming soon might be a DIY burlap banner and decorative burlap curtains!
Thanks and have a wonderful day!!!

No comments: